E3Dv6 End Effector V2

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by grainiac, Sep 20, 2015.

1. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

Thanks this was not planned in the first place believe me! ;)
  2. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

3. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

Couldn't you pull the 24v from the PSU input? - the fan is "always on".
  4. bytecounter

bytecounter Member

The other alternative; if you're content with the Brainwave Pro/Marlin, is to use a 12V fan system and switch the FAN VCC's voltage jumper (it's next to the 10-pin header box shroud). I've verified with a bench PSU+multimeter that both the always-on and fan outputs are 12V when the jumper is set that way.

Squirrel cage fans are plentiful in the 12V range, and the E3Dv6 fans are offered in a 12V flavor as well (may want to chat with your vendor of choice to see whether or not they're willing to keep/swap the heater).

There are other alternatives like fabbing a PCB with FETs/diodes to do logic-level PWMing.. but that's smacking a fly with a cannon IMO.
  5. zip file appears to be blank
  6. Woooooohoooooo! Not used to Github yet, apparently.
    samspade4321 likes this.
  7. degreaser

degreaser Member

Yep indeed.

@grainiac - could you repost that zip file? All it has are two empty directories.

I'm looking for the ducts for the standard version but I didn't see them in the git repo.

[Edit| Are the Magnetic Hot End Holders compatible with the standard End Effector?

Questions, questions :) @grainiac - where did you get the brass inserts?
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  8. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

I added the Fusion 360 design to GitHub (F3D folder):
    https://github.com/grainiac/3D_Printing/tree/master/OpenBeamKosselPro_E3Dv6_End_Effector/V2

The blower fan duct and the E3Dv6 holder/duct is designed to be compatible with the standard and the magnetic arm version of the end effector base. You'll find everything in the STL folder or pre-sliced for printing in ABS on the OBKP in the GCODE folder.
  9. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

10. Can someone confirm the center-to-center spec spacing of the rods? It appears to be 41mm + 10mm?
  11. degreaser

degreaser Member

Thanks!

I've been wrestling with printing with ABS. Delamination, clogged Jhead, warping, just about everything that could go wrong did. Finally got a set of FSR mounts printed, working on the end effector now.
  12. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

BTW, I got my inserts yesterday - so seven days to get them from China, not too bad!
  13. degreaser

degreaser Member

Curious - what OD and length did you get?
  14. David Boyd

David Boyd Active Member

So here is a stupid question. What inserts should I get if I want to use the E3DV6 end effector (V2) with the stock KP rods and joints?
    My current thinking is to go to 12V fans (via the jumper). I have the E3DV6 in hand, and a spare KP PCB (from my failed flirtation with the K-head).
    @grainiac - other than fans and inserts are there other materials I would need to do this mod?
  15. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

A spool of ABS filament and 14pcs of M3 brass inserts. I use special inserts for plastic from Martin Bondeus (I asked him nicely for 100pcs and got a good price!): http://shop.bondtech.se/ec/components/thread-insert-m3.html
    Btw. the Bondtech QR upgrade is also on it's way and I guess it will look great on the Kossel! :)
  16. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

M3 5mm outside diameter, 4mm long. I measured them and the outside diameter is actually 5.87, i.e. a nominal 6mm.
  17. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

Are you referring to the long aluminum inserts (standoffs) that the stock shoulder bolts screw into?
  18. David Boyd

David Boyd Active Member

19. Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam New Member

can somebody help me print this? :)