MatterHacker's Collection of 3D printed upgrade parts (Azteeg X5, FSRs, E3Dv6, etc)

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by Tyler Anderson, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Tyler Anderson

Tyler Anderson Moderator Staff Member

Hi guys, I just wanted to share all the parts we've designed for various upgrades to the Kossel. I know there are a lot of similar things floating around out there, but it doesn't hurt to have more options.

Azteeg X5 Mini (v1 and v2/v3) Horizontal Board Mount
    This is a holder for your Smoothie board, but unlike the stock Brainwave mount it is horizontal instead of vertical. This gives much easier access to the wires. Separate versions for the X5 v1 and v2/v3.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fan Mount (60 mm)
    This holds a 60 mm fan for cooling the Azteeg board.

[​IMG]

FSR Board Mount
    This is for holding the board from your Ultibots FSR kit.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

FSR Bed Clamps
    I'm sure Taylor posted these already, but I can't find them. These are modified bed holders with added spots for the FSR pads.

[​IMG]
    E3D v6 End Effector
    This is pretty similar to the upcoming official machined end effector.

[​IMG]

E3D Bowden Adapter Spacer
    This lets you use E3D's nice groove mount bowden adapters in your EZStruder, instead of the annoying stock bowden fitting. It is just a ring that takes up the extra space in the groove. Print two.

[​IMG]

Various OpenBeam Brackets
    A couple of low profile designs for connecting OpenBeam at various angles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    protoserge, skyshard, AndyG and 2 others like this.
  2. samspade4321

samspade4321 Member

Thanks a million for sharing! I printed out the end effector, and it looks a lot more "drop-in" than the machined one I shelled out about $70 bucks for from ZTAutomations.
  3. skyshard

skyshard Member

Thanks for uploading these! Do you know if we're supposed to insert m3 37mm standoffs in the end effector, like the original design?
  4. Tyler Anderson

Yes, the standoffs should just slide in.
  5. AndyG

AndyG Member

I may be wrong here - but I printed the 50mm fan mount and it sure looks like a 60mm fan mount.
  6. Tyler Anderson

You are correct. Fixed the description.
  7. Sean Hill

Sean Hill Member

Tyler, a quick question about the end effector: I had it printed at Shapeways, and it appears that the 37mm standoffs have a bit of slop on either side. that is, they don't locate flush to the end of the end effector body.

Is this expected? Or did I print the wrong version of the end effector? I used one from one of Taylor's previous posts, and had it produced several months ago. I also have some 40mm standoffs that seem to fit a little more snugly, but I'm not sure what the implications are of using the wrong standoffs here.

Here's a photo if it helps illustrate what I'm asking after: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s10ambvc2ix9qso/IMG_3149.JPG?dl=0
  8. Tyler Anderson

Yes. This is intentional and its consistent with the stock end effector. The reason is that the spacing of the arms at the end effector must be exactly the same as the spacing at the tower carriage (i.e. the arms must be parallel), or the end effector will tilt as it moves from one side of the build area to the other. This is why OpenBeam has started selling shim washers, to help you get the arm spacing right.

If you have 40 mm spacers, I don't see any reason not to use them. In fact they will probably be better since they are likely manufactured to tighter tolerances than the plastic printed piece.
  9. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

Go with the 40mm spacers! But use them also on the arms. I am using 40mm spacers on my heavily modified Kossel with great success.
  10. AndyG

AndyG Member

@Tyler Anderson Do you guys have a smoothieware config you'd be willing to post? I have grainiacs and its been super helpful but he is running custom arms and some other things and wondering if I can compare a mostly stock config with grainiacs and maybe track down my issues I'm having.
  11. Sean Hill

Sean Hill Member

Thanks Tyler and grainiac!

@grainiac if you don't mind clarifying what you mean by using the 40mm spacers on the arms as well?
  12. Tyler Anderson

Sure. Here is the our config. This is for an X5 v2. Just keep in mind it has all the mods listed above.

https://sr.ht/a5Pq.txt
    protoserge likes this.
  13. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

@Sean Hill sorry I mean carriages. If you have 40mm spacers in the effector, also swap out the 37mm spacers in the carriages.
  14. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

My X5 V1.1 config for the Kossel Pro:
    https://github.com/grainiac/3D_Printing/tree/master/OpenBeamKosselPro_Azteeg_X5_Mini_Config

My X5 V3 configs for the Carbonoids, both for edge branch and 626pilot (should work on the Kossel to with some adaptations):
    https://github.com/grainiac/Carbonoid/tree/master/D1
    protoserge likes this.
  15. protoserge

protoserge Member

Smoothie mods are tempting... Thanks for sharing your work @grainiac!

I may work on a machined end effector within the next few months after I progress through my other projects. Does anyone know if dual hot end extrusion is too complex for a workable end effector? I would really like to be able to print support material.
  16. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

Mark Moissette made an effector for the E3D Chimera:
    https://plus.google.com/112899217323877236232/posts/WViYTJXJPDX?iem=4&gpawv=1&hl=de-DE
    Maybe you contact him and ask for his experience with dual extrusion on a Delta!
  17. Tyler Anderson

Yah, I think the Chimera or Cyclops are the way to go for dual extrusion on a Delta. We put one on a Rostock once. Those are the most compact dual hot ends, and the Cyclops eliminates problems with keeping the nozzles level with each other. Problem is the X5 doesn't have enough motor drivers for dual. You'd have to get the official Smoothieboard.
    protoserge likes this.
  18. protoserge

protoserge Member

Challenge accepted. Timeline questionable... I have to finish some work on one CNC mill, then tackle a linear rail swap on my Haas. Only then can I can fiddle with my perfectly-working OBKP :D I should have picked up a better hobby like writing haha.

Thanks @Tyler Anderson for the information! It's good to see the forum having some activity. Not to derail, but I also hope the backers that ordered pre-built printers have all received theirs. Will @Terence Tam get some spare time to do some status updates on the OpenBeam line?
  19. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

It come to my knowledge that Roy Cortes from Panucatt is working on a bigger Azteeg with 5 swappable drivers.....actually I have a prototype unit from him that is very cool! ;)
  20. Sean Hill

Sean Hill Member

@Taylor @Tyler Anderson -- one question about the E3Dv6 end effector: it's clear that I'm intended to use the original end effector PCA with it, but it doesn't seem to accommodate nuts for the fan and thermistor connections on the PCA. There's no clearance for nuts or bolt heads between the printed end effector body and the PCA once it's snapped in.

Is it expected that I'll need to rework the end effector wire harness to connect my fans and thermistor?