OpenBeam Kossel Q&A

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by Chris Gilroy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

M119 returns "open" whether it's extended or retracted, and I know it's making great contact with the actuator now, Terence. However, in trying to disconnect the probe's wiring connector from the effector, I pulled the leads off the microswitch and had to re-solder them. I'm fairly sure I soldered them back according to the picture in the instrux: Looking at the printed side of the switch, I soldered the black lead to the left lug and the red lead to the center lug. Is this correct? (Yes, after seeing this magnified pic, I'm gonna check the integrity of the solder on the left lead.)

2015-07-09 02.07.34.png
  2. Terence Tam

Terence Tam Mr. OpenBeam Staff Member Vendor

That is correct. The terminals are Common and Normally Open - polarity doesn't matter. I would check for cold solder joint, and also the integrity of the connector's crimp.
  3. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

This is what I should be seeing, correct?

PROBE.png
  4. Salva

Salva New Member

Found a solution to my issue on post#437 I added a G29 Z-2.3 command in my initial sequence and it now registers all positions correctly.
    ChopOMatic likes this.
  5. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

Salva, where exactly are you entering that in MatterControl?
  6. Salva

Salva New Member

7. William Siers

William Siers Member

Anybody else notice on ZT-Doc 00196 Wiring - Inlet to Switch Neutral and next Line in.What the wordings says on wiring and what the picture shows are two different things.
    Says put neutral to A but pic shows wired to B. If I read this error correctly it is fairly significant.??????????????????????????
  8. jbuzzitt

jbuzzitt New Member

what is the thermistor circuit? When I start the Pro the temp says 700 degrees. I have disconnected the thermostat and the same results. What am I missing?

Attached Files:

9. Rick Gordon

Rick Gordon Member

in most cases, resistance drops as temperature increases - so if you're reading a higher than expected temperature you likely have a short - probably at the thermistor leads. but who knows?
  10. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

One of the thermistor leads touching the heating block, maybe?
  11. Terence Tam

Terence Tam Mr. OpenBeam Staff Member Vendor

Short circuit. Somewhere, something is shorting the two connections together, maybe a solder bridge. THus no change when you disconnect the thermistor.

-=- Terence
  12. William Siers

William Siers Member

@Terence Tam shoulder bolts I have been asking for since original was not threaded all the way.
    ChopOMatic likes this.
  13. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

Good luck. I've been waiting for what I'm sure is a month for the same, @William Siers .
  14. William Siers

William Siers Member

No answer via email, post, profile post or conversation on profile page. What up with that.
  15. grainiac

grainiac Active Member

ztautomations.com is also pretty outdated (Edit: But at least they found the time to design a fancy shipping box! I think that must have been the most important action item on a long list.). Maybe they think the guys in the community are capable enough so there's no need for support anymore.....but maybe we will also be surprised and get a thorough Kossel Pro V2.0. Who knows?
  16. bytecounter

bytecounter Member

Post-kickstarter project hair-constantly-on-fire syndrome. Lots of quiet on the front-end while doing things behind the scenes/fighting fires.
  17. William Siers

William Siers Member

I own two businesses, plus work a full time job, shoot proffessional Archery and I have a 9 year old.
    My customers have full access to me 24/7.
    I provide free tech support to the Direct to Garment Printers I sell. You might have to wait a couple hours but that is it. 7 days a week. When I designed and published DIY instructions on how to build your own printer I answered questions everyday on forums, email and phone calls. Taylor at Matter Hackers even sent an email, no response. Matter Hackers have been great by the way. Maybe there is a good reason, if so I apologize, but to busy is not one to give to someone who laid down the cash. It's just a bolt but one that I cannot find. Forgive the rant.
  18. bytecounter

bytecounter Member

Agreed, especially for that component. Not making excuses for the OBKP team, but just stating what i've noticed as a trend over time. They go away for awhile, check things off the todo list, update, go active on the forum for a bit, send out stuff, then repeat the cycle.
  19. ChopOMatic

ChopOMatic Active Member

I think there are probably a couple things in play here: First, this space seems to attract engineering-type entrepreneurs, many of whom seem utterly clueless when it comes to common-sense business practices, like taking care of customers and making them feel important. Second, I think they are indeed adopting the attitude that because of the nature of the maker community, we'll figure it out on our own.

Whatever their reasons, the abysmal support is unacceptable at a spectacular level. Terence responded to one of my questions a few months ago with an explanation that--I'm of course paraphrasing here--they're just a couple guys with full-time jobs and families and they're doing the best they can. Those things are things you account for before you run a campaign and take over a hundred thousand dollars of the public's money, plain and simple. I've been patient, and I'm as pro-taking-care-of-your-family as they come, but this is the real world and it's not okay to conduct business this way.

For the record, I've been a businessman my entire adult life. I know what taking care of business looks like, and this ain't it.
  20. David Boyd

David Boyd Active Member

Besides lack of documentation my biggest support issue is the lack of availability of the custom parts. If they had not sent the oopsie bag I would be out of luck. First you could not get the custom J-head, then other parts not available from any other supplier. You can finally get some of the parts on Amazon but there are still a whole lot of -not available - parts showing up there.

I think I am going to slow start replacing things with more common openly available parts.
    Next step will be to dump the brain wave for a RAMPS-FD or better contoller.
    Next will be replace the end effector with @grainiac's and an E3DV6