Project Administrative - Shipping, Logistics, Preorders, etc

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by Grimmdp, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Grimmdp

Grimmdp New Member

Hello,
    I'm PO-136. I received the UPS label but never got a confirmation email as described. Just wondering if I'm confirmed and if my kit is included in those going out today?

Thanks for all your hard work and hope you have an outstanding holiday!
  2. KDog

KDog Member

KS-053 here. Haven't seen any movement on any of the three shipping notifications I received and now the shipping status worksheet has been made private. Trying to be patient but this whole thing is a bit of a train wreck.
  3. Terence Tam

Terence Tam Mr. OpenBeam Staff Member Vendor

@KDog You can try answering the email, kickstarter message, or my voice mail that I left you yesterday to confirm your address.

We have your printer kitted and it's in my car, but we aren't shipping anything without a final address confirmation.

-=- Terence
  4. KDog

KDog Member

Hah! New email. Not sure where the voicemail went. Did ask several days ago about confirming address and was told that I was confirmed. Anyway, confirmed again.
  5. Terence Tam

Ok, guys. I've shared back out the shipping list and cleaned up the tracking numbers.

As you can see, Mike and I packed and shipped a lot of printers this past week. We've packed and shipped close to 100 printers (at 25 lbs a kit, that's 2500 lbs of 3D printer kits).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-y0QHzDy6zi-NwSYz_j7WaBsHzWg4i4iIMyFcDvpHyQ/edit?usp=sharing

We are currently breaking for the holidays. We are expecting our next linear rail and motor shipment to come in first week of Jan and we'll close out the rest of the project at that time. We will then prepare to build the next batch of printers and we'll redo the Shopstarter page to take preorders for the next batch of printers being built.

We will be raising the price on the ShopStarter page for the next batch of printers, to $1350. We expect the final retail price through dealers to be $1399, with support provided by the dealers.

-=- Terence
  6. Terence Tam

I have your address marked as confirmed. I thought we shipped you your kit, but I don't see it in UPS to confirm that; I may have accidentally marked your kit as shipped. We'll have to move you into the early Jan build if that's the case. Sorry about that.

-=- Terence
  7. Terence Tam

Ok, guys. I've shared back out the shipping list and cleaned up the tracking numbers.

As you can see, Mike and I packed and shipped a lot of printers this past week. We've packed and shipped close to 100 printers (at 25 lbs a kit, that's 2500 lbs of 3D printer kits).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-y0QHzDy6zi-NwSYz_j7WaBsHzWg4i4iIMyFcDvpHyQ/edit?usp=sharing

We are currently breaking for the holidays. We are expecting our next linear rail and motor shipment to come in first week of Jan and we'll close out the rest of the project at that time. We will then prepare to build the next batch of printers and we'll redo the Shopstarter page to take preorders for the next batch of printers being built.

We will be raising the price on the ShopStarter page for the next batch of printers, to $1350. We expect the final retail price through dealers to be $1399, with support provided by the dealers.

For international backers, I've attached a copy of our Commercial Invoice that accompanied everybody's shipment.

-=- Terence

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  8. protoserge

protoserge Member

I've been building mine with my dad and it's been very pleasing to see the level of detail and the fit and finish of this printer. For those still waiting, it is well worth it. You can see and feel how this printer is constructed with reliability and assembly in mind. It is a true joy to assemble. The ball joint fixture and making ball joints has been my favorite so far. The Wera drivers are awesome. BTW, you will need a #1 Philips screwdriver for the SeeMeCNC Extruder, not a #2 as per the instructions.

I will admit that the assembly is not straightforward. I believe an ordered list was posted earlier in this thread.

Do the ball joints near the beginning. I did mine after I had constructed the vertex triangles and had to tear down the top triangle to make the fixture. Thankfully it is fairly easy to do and the fixture is constructed using

Also, the ball joint fixture has a socket on it for when you're working on the power plug!

[​IMG]

@Terence Tam it might be worth sending yet another email to the backer list to make sure those that haven't responded verify their addresses. Or I know a few FRC and FTC teams that could use a printer ;)
  9. AndyG

AndyG Member

For sure it's a little disorganized at the stage the documentation is at, but between the Work in Progress guides and Skyshards build thread I've been able to get the frame and end effector assembled without issue so far. Going to try to finish electronics tonight.

I think the only thing I would want to do additional is loctite everything once I get through a few prints.

Here is the order I assembled:

Ball joints/jig (needs a smaller rail)
    Lower triangle
    Linear rails (needs an upper triangle vertex)
    Upper Triangle
    Frame assembly
    Power supply mounting and electronics
    Heated bed clips (easier to attach after electronics)

Whenever:

Auto leveling probe
    End effector
    Belt tensioners (takes an hour to dry)
    EZ-CNC Extruder
  10. DNagt

DNagt New Member

KS-061 has apparently made it through customs clearance into Canada. Scheduled for delivery today/tomorrow.

Excited!
  11. sean

sean Member

KS-065 arrived safely yesterday, I've finished the ball joint sets and the effector up to the 'snap it together' step. I think before snapping it together, I'm going to dab some blue loctite onto all the screws that will become inaccessible.
  12. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Member

PO-099 checking in. It arrived the day I left for vacation last week, but I was able to get it from my apartment office on Sunday. The box had minor external damage, but thanks to the individual assembly boxes inside there was no damage to the interior components.

I haven't opened half of the boxes, but so far the end effector and bearings/arms are properly built. Hope you have a great holiday!
    protoserge likes this.
  13. Terence Tam

We were wondering where you've been. :p. Glad to have you back.
    thoughtfix likes this.
  14. Tmoney2007

Tmoney2007 New Member

PO-137 here.

Never got a email (aside from the one that came from shopstarter and UPS) and it shows me unconfirmed. Can it still get out today? I checked my address before I ordered and when the ups labels came out.
  15. Tmoney2007

Tmoney2007 New Member

It's a bit strange that almost exactly half of the shopstarter pre-orders aren't confirmed and it's every other entry. Looks like something might have happened with the confirmation emails... I eve asked earlier in the thread about why I haven't gotten an email and the blanket response I got back made it seem like I wasn't going to get one.

Amd now it looks like a bunch of people aren't getting printers for a while. If the list of who had been confirmed had been available Sunday or Monday I would have had it fixed...
  16. Terence Tam

You can be upset and snarky in emails all you want, but the fact is, we built all the printers we have parts for, and we can't build more until the next batch of linear rails arrive the first week of January. We gave the highest priority to our Kickstarter backers (who have been waiting the longest), followed by people who replied to the initial email asking to confirm addresses. For US backers, this email went out mid to end of November.

For an order that was received on Dec 8th (during the crunch time when we were busting our butts trying to get as many kits out the door - we shipped almost 100 printers in the last *week* , I don't think waiting a month on a preorder is unreasonable.

-=- Terence
    sean likes this.
  17. That actually does look like kind of a pattern going on. And that probably is useful feedback.

I recommend making sure your address is now verified, and maybe stop complaining about stuff or engaging in other behaviors that don't directly lead to you getting your printer faster. I.e. moaning about a list that would not have helped you anyways because you would have had to find the list to begin with isn't adding to the team's available time to fulfill orders or work on other stuff. It's taking away from that time, and for no useful reason.
  18. Def

Def Member

Terence,

Do the tracking numbers mean the order has shipped, or do the tracking numbers just mean address is confirmed and the printer hasn't necessarily shipped out?

KS-075 isn't showing any tracking updates, but I tested a few other tracking numbers and saw the ones shipped out today had already updated.
  19. Terence Tam

Man, of course, you would pick the one of the printers that is sitting in my car. :p.

I have about 10 more printers that for one reason or other couldn't make it to the depot yesterday (last minute address changes, customer requested pickup, we decided to ship it instead since it's easier, errors on the commercial invoice for international shipment, or purely ran out of room between the two cars). They will go out today.

So, anything with a tracking number SHOULD show activity by tomorrow morning.
  20. Grimmdp

Grimmdp New Member

I'm gonna look at this from a glass-half-full perspective. As much as I was looking forward to getting my machine with this batch, waiting till January will mean that we will have more complete docs, a lot more discussion and do's/dont's on the forum and probably just a generally easier time. And as has been said, us preorder folks have been waiting a fraction of what the KS folks have. That said if you happen to find a stray kit under the table that needs a label...;)
    Have a good vacation!