Replaced board - thanks!

Discussion in 'Ask Team Openbeam' started by thoughtfix, Jan 19, 2015.

1. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Member

I got the replacement Brainwave in and swapped the boards out this evening. I changed the orientation of the ring connectors on the board so they weren't in the way of the bed (or anywhere near them, for that matter) and one has me a little nervous:
    IMG_0977.JPG

Hoo boy that's close, but I tested it with a multimeter and nothing shorts (and it's on TIGHT) so I'm confident it will continue to work. If I get really nervous, I'll move that one ring to the other side of the board.

While testing with my multimeter, I noticed the + for the PSU and + for the heat bed reported as "shorted." Is the "switch" on the negative side of the brainwave from the bed? If so, that's throwing +24V through the heat bed at all times but is stopped by a switch AFTER the bed. That means anything that touches the exposed ring terminal on the bed can short to ground even when the heated bed isn't turned on.

It works, but it also makes me a little nervous. I checked the rings on the Brainwave I am shipping back and it's wired the same way.

I plugged in everything and it seems to work just fine except it has the same G29-probe-retraction overshoot that the original board did. I'll put a new firmware on it tomorrow. The old board (with USB cable) is on its way back to you!
  2. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Member

I fixed the tight wiring by moving the main +24V line to the other side of the board.

Attached Files: