The State of the Kossel Pro

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by thoughtfix, Jul 4, 2016.

1. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Member

After a year-long break, I tried to get back into my Kossel Pro this weekend. The computer that ran it got dissected and everything is surely rattled out of calibration so I decided to treat myself as a "new user."

Miserable failure.

Tried buying the K-Head over the last few weeks, but none are available from Amazon, Openbeam, or Matterhackers. The last official firmware hasn't had a commit in 15 months.

The page that a new user would buy from on MatterHackers doesn't have a link to the instructions. The comments mention http://ztautomations.dozuki.com but that documentation is still very sparse. I followed the getting started guide but that's generic and not Kossel specific. When I finally hit "print" after the G29 auto leveling sequence my effector went clear off the print bed and tried breaking it's own swing arms!

I am sure I could backtrack and figure out why, but my print needs were more immediate and I dug up my old Printrbot. It's smaller and less accurate, but it worked just fine after 1.5 years on a box. I'm thinking what we need is a single, updated page that always contains:

• The latest firmware (provided by Taylor here)
    • The latest software. (MatterControl is here)
    • The change logs, so people can backtrack what they need to update.
    • The latest official guide from "assembled printer" to "successful print" without having to dig through hundreds of forum posts, including:
      • Probe deployment and retraction problems
      • Calibrating
      • Shimming (I still don't know how to do this)
      • Weird behavior

That way, any new user can go from "box" to "print" without a bunch of lucky search results. I know Team Openbeam has day jobs, but it's somewhat irresponsible for Matterhackers or anyone else to sell new printers to new non-kickstarter users without a "box-to-print" guide.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Taylor

Taylor Moderator Staff Member

The firmware has been updated.

Try this hex file. It should resolve the G29 issue you're having.

Attached Files:

thoughtfix likes this.
  3. thoughtfix

thoughtfix Member

Thanks. I updated my OP and will add additional links as I find them. I don't want to be the maintainer of this knowledge repository, but I'll share what I find.
  4. jasonmiles

jasonmiles Member

Is there a way to edit a compiled hex file? I have been using Arduino to upload my firmware not the manual process (both process are described here). I like being able to look at and modify the configuration.h file, since I have had problems with PID tuning.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Moderator Staff Member

No, but I'll post the uncompiled on Monday. If you don't see i by Tuesday, shoot me an email reminder. Taylor.landry@matterhackers
  6. Bryce Johnson

Bryce Johnson New Member

If anyone wants to upload directly:
    You can use something like this format from the command line

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude" -C"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -v -v -v -pat90usb1286 -cavr109 -P\\.\COM15 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:G:\Drive\Projects\kossel\Marlin.cpp.hex:i

Just change the end to where you Marlin.cpp.hex is located

Going to give it a try...
  7. Bryce Johnson

Bryce Johnson New Member

It went to the side dumped a couple mm of plastic and then jammed into the side of the hotbed chipping the glass a bit. I then killed the power.

Must not be set up for the metal hotend?

EDIT: Changed #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER to -7.7 and seems right on with another version of marlin that is in the forum here somehwere...
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  8. protoserge

protoserge Member

9. protoserge

protoserge Member

Do we have a heartbeat on anyone at OpenBeam? Will @Terence Tam provise any updates on the OpenBeam or ZTAutomations website? Have the fully assembled kits been delivered?
  10. jasonmiles

jasonmiles Member

Wow I hadn't even seen any of the blog updates on the ZTAutomations website! Did not even know that blog existed. Still the last update was over 3 months ago. I really hope the fully assembled kits are out there by now! Only 2.5 years late.
  11. protoserge

protoserge Member

There was a comment stating someone had not received their prebuilt kit yet. I haven't seen any updates from @Terence Tam, so I was curious if he is doing well.

I know that OpenBeam has a physical location now and there are a lot of new products available and several of the parts have come down in price.

I was also asked a long time ago if I'd beta test the k-head, but I never heard back from Terence and now it is not available due to supplier issues. PEEK has a very high melting point (above 300 C) so shouldn't it work or am I missing? something?
  12. skyshard

skyshard Member

I find this message on most jhead pages: "Please note: The maximum operating temperature is 247 degrees Celsius as PEEK will soften at 248 degrees Celsius. Due to many variables, affecting the accuracy of the temperature readings and settings, caution is recommended when extruding at temperatures approaching this limit."

On the other hand, nophead suggests that going above 248 C is okay: http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?292,224777

There's also a PTFE liner that will give you a temperature limit (deteriorates at 260 C), e3d and others suggest operating below 240 C to be safe there, but it shouldn't decompose until 350 C either
    protoserge likes this.
  13. Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam New Member

Taylor

where can i find the source to the firmware?

thanks

-joe
  14. Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam New Member

I tried to do G30 with this firmware and its not working.. which version do I need?
  15. protoserge

protoserge Member

G30 or G29? What routine were you intending?
  16. Rick Gordon

Rick Gordon Member

G30 is an multiple-pass leveling probe version of the firmware. Its in one of the experimental branches released last year. I don't recall exact version. Some people seem to be using it with success.
    G29 is the single-pass leveling probe in the standard firmware. (is there a standard firmware?)
  17. Rick Gordon

Rick Gordon Member

Is there source release for this version? Which G29 issues are resolved? What other commits?
  18. Joseph Tam

Joseph Tam New Member

i understand that the OB guys are swamped.. all they have to do is put a wiki up and allow the forums contributors to maintain it so that we gather things like this in one place

-joe