Unboxing + assembly pics!

Discussion in 'OpenBeam Kossel Reprap and OpenBeam Kossel Pro' started by skyshard, Nov 21, 2014.

1. skyshard

skyshard Member

Can't access the instructions yet anyways, so here's an album of the unboxing for everyone who hasn't gotten their kits yet!

unboxing: http://imgur.com/a/M1sWk

BTW, there's no sample filament pack in the kit (I vaguely remember something about that), so those of you without 1.75mm filament should get your hands on some!

Edit:
    assembly: http://imgur.com/a/7rq64
    You'll also need to get a PC style 3 pin power cord and a USB a to b male cable, if you don't have them lying around already
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Terence Tam

Terence Tam Mr. OpenBeam Staff Member Vendor

Instead of sample filament pack, we've negotiated a nice discount for all our backers from MatterHackers instead. Each person will get a discount code for filament discount. This will be going out in the address verification email (we are still waiting for the edit window to close on Kickstarter). Backers whose orders we've already shipped will be getting this code separately.

It turns out, spooling filament into sampler packs is quite labor intensive. This way everyone can get what they want instead.
    skyshard likes this.
  3. jam68

jam68 New Member

I love the Oopsie Bag. A very nice touch. I hope to have my own soon!

JAM
  4. Chris

Chris Member

You have more room than I do for unboxing (well, that and I had nowhere safe to hide the breakable stuff from the kid). Can't wait to start putting mine together.
  5. skyshard

skyshard Member

Ah, very nice. They're also having their "blue friday" sale right now: https://twitter.com/matterhackers

I got impatient and mostly assembled the end effector and autoleveling probe (losing 1 m2 nut in the process - thanks for that oopsie bag!)
  6. Chris

Chris Member

Yeah, I got some unrelated stuff from the sale today. I've actually been stocking up on filament from them over the year or so delay we've been waiting through (my current borrowed printer is 3mm so there's been no temptation to use any of the 1.75mm). I don't *need* filament but can still think of a few more colors I'd like to have. Going to take the gamble that the discount Terence mentioned will be comparable to today's blue friday discount, and give me some more time to convince the wife that yes we do need more colors.
  7. skyshard

skyshard Member

heh, I currently have an e3d v6 and some specialty filament in my cart... very tempted
  8. Chris

Chris Member

Yeah, I'm really curious about specialty filament like the soft PLA, laywood, PET, bronzeFill, etc. but kind of hope I can learn from others' mistakes before spending a bunch of money on new stuff, especially those metallic filaments that could possibly do some damage to the extruder (will probably end up building myself a second assembly to use for non-PLA experiments). I'd pick up the soft PLA but matterhackers warns that it doesn't work so well without a direct drive filament feeder.
  9. Terence Tam

Very cool - see that you're making good progress on assembly. :-D.

We're changing the official end effector assembly process a little bit. I shot most of the pictures for the instructions, but am going to work on the instruction and verbage tomorrow. Basically, we are gluing the standoffs to the bottom (where the PCA is captured) in the same step as gluing the interior air duct. This way the lower end can be set aside to dry for a while while the upper is being assembled. Also, the glue joint is much stronger as there isn't as big a gap between the standoff and the plastic.

The "oopsie bag" is as much for our oopsies as for the end user. After we shipped @jasonmiles 's printer we got some really useful feedback, but by then our kitter had already worked through a few subassemblies. Not wanting to rework them, we started a "patch" list.

One of the issues is that we speced a zinc plated shoulder bolt and the zinc plating grew the nominal OD of the bolt. It should be coming in at 3.90+/- 0.05mm, but after plating the dimensions changed to ~3.95+/- 0.05mm. At MMC, that bolt no longer slip fits through the bearing. It's too expensive to do 100% inspection on the bolt and bin parts, so we toss in an additional few bolts per kit to ensure that between the bed clamp and the ball joint set, the user can cherry pick 12 bolts (due to the way the bell curve works) to ensure smooth assembly.

Others are "Gee, wish I thought of that, let's patch it in rev 1.1" improvements. They will be called out in the assembly instructions.

-=- Terence
  10. skyshard

skyshard Member

That's a good change for the standoffs!
    I got started on the ezstruder and ball joint assembly, but ran into my first bug - ball joint set was short 2 bearings instead of having 2 extra (delta of -4 pcs).

(and one low priority typo, in ZT-DOC-00190(0WR), slide 12, "Using the provided nut" -> "Using the provided nuts")

Album updated while I look for more bearings!

edit- Didn't find extra bearings. Potential issue #2, one of the cf rods has a squashed/cracked end: http://i.imgur.com/iPnjii6.jpg

edit #2- not sure if this is an issue or not, but there's a printed spacer thing between the gt2 pulleys and the stepper motors in the WIP folder that doesn't seem to be present in the kit either: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=070E802A1A3EE13C&id=70E802A1A3EE13C!208&v=3
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  11. Terence Tam

edit- Didn't find extra bearings. Potential issue #2, one of the cf rods has a squashed/cracked end: http://i.imgur.com/iPnjii6.jpg

1) bearings; sorry about that, we'll get replacement ones out to you.
    2) Cracked CF rods - How many cracked? It looks to be usable still - since the Loctite 410 is pretty strong. I'd happily replace it, except I don't know how many extra parts I have at this time, we are doing inventory. Bearings I bought a lot more extra, because of the high QPA.

edit #2- not sure if this is an issue or not, but there's a printed spacer thing between the gt2 pulleys and the stepper motors in the WIP folder that doesn't seem to be present in the kit either: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=070E802A1A3EE13C&id=70E802A1A3EE13C!208&v=3[/QUOTE]

Nope, not a bug. That is 3D Printable fixture tooling for assembling printers, for our team doing the prebuilt machines. We are experimenting with different ways to have people set the spacing that does not require that printed tooling.

-=- Terence
  12. skyshard

skyshard Member

1) Thanks!!
    2) Just one - it's not quite round, but should fit. I was just concerned about the strength of the rod being compromised

ah, I see! I could probably print my own if you throw up that stl somewhere
  13. Chris

Chris Member

Figured I'd take a stab at the EzStruder but I can't seem to find the parts -- which part box should they be in? Actually, it might be nice to break parts down by box number in the "exploded view" slide.

I actually don't see them in @skyshard's unboxing pics but I see the completed assembly below so they must have been in there.

Couple other notes:
    • There's a missing word on the "ZT-DOC-00192(0WR) - Ball Joint Kit – Ball Joints.pptx" doc slide 6. I think the "warning" should say "… one at a time."
    • There are a number of references to "extrusion" in the docs -- it took me awhile to realize that these likely refer to the openbeam extrusions.
  14. Terence Tam

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It's like drinking from a fire hydrant, but fortunately I have the next week off (although I will be in Chicago visiting my inlaws, I will have my laptop and will keep cranking on documentation there).

Answering your questions:

EzStruder is in the "Common Core Components" kit. We are working on kit content pictures.

-=- Terence
  15. Chris

Chris Member

@Terence then I'm definitely missing that particular set.
  16. Terence Tam

KS-011?
  17. skyshard

skyshard Member

it's in the biggest box (zt-kit-00132), also has the bowden tube, pulleys, lots of screws and stuff, and the rails at the bottom
  18. Chris

Chris Member

Not missing the whole box, just the EzStruder parts (at least, I know for sure those are missing -- won't know if anything else is missing until there's a per-box inventory list).
  19. Chris

Chris Member

I'm only short the extra bearings, though it looks like I have an extra half of one of the bearing assembly parts (which threw off my count and made me thing I was missing another bearing)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  20. Terence Tam

I'm going to start a sticky thread in a bit with an FAQ. One of the items I'll address is missing parts. We are dumping out a full BOM as well for people to check their parts against.

In the mean time, if you are missing parts, or have broken parts please email:

kickstarter@OpenBeamUSA.com

and put your KS-0XX number and title the email: Missing Parts. That way it's more than just me looking at the emails.

Thanks,

-=- Terence